We experienced a tender mercy miracle last night.
This is the story:
Johnita spent the day with me while Colin was at a performance rehersal. We got cupcakes, tested mattresses, and explored the DI. It was super great! :D
Then we discovered that Johnita lost her phone (hopefully in the mattress store).
It was then time for her to leave to go pick up Colin.
But- it was nighttime and snowing and very slippery and she didn't have a phone and she was really nervous to drive her stick-shift car that she is not very used to yet...
So Steven and I volunteered to drive her to Salt Lake to get Colin. Our plan was to pick him up, eat dinner at Denny's and then ride the Trax back to our car by my school to go home.
Well...it took us a lot longer to pick up Colin than we thought. By the time we got to Denny's it was already like 9:40. We ate and talked leisurely and then Colin and Jita dropped us off to catch the Trax. We didn't really realize how late it was and we barely missed a Trax by like 1 minute which is important to the story...
P.S. Also, I was wearing my stupid ballet shoes so by the time we walked down the sidewalk to get to the station, my toes were freezing. (What am I, like 5? I thought I knew how to take care of myself by now...! Ridiculous! At least I did remember to grab my real coat... Why didn't I think about my shoes?!?!?!?!)
Then as Steven was trying to buy me a ticket (he already has one through UVU), I discovered that my wallet and phone were missing (after having thought several times previously how ridiculous it would be if I were to lose my phone too). I thought maybe I left them in Johnita's car, but we didn't have a way to call them because her phone and my phone were lost and Steven didn't have Colin's number... *sigh* So I dashed back down the sidewalk to see if I had dropped it and sure enough right were we got out of the car, it was laying in the snow. One crisis averted.
Then I went back to Steven and we bought the ticket and we waited for 5 minutes for the Trax while he held my frozen feet.
We got on the train when it came and realized that it said it was going to Central Point (like 2100 S) when we needed to get to Daybreak (much further west and south).
We quickly realized that we were on the last bus of the night (the one we barley missed would have taken us all the way we think) and when they made us get off at Central Point, we would be stranded in Salt Lake City.
We proceeded to laugh a lot (A LOT) and tried to come up with a plan.
Options:
Call Kendrick. Maybe he is playing tonight and wouldn't mind picking us up when his is done...???
Find a Walmart, buy shoes, and walk home.
Find a Walmart, buy shoes and bikes, and walk home.
Call a taxi.
Call our home teacher.
and.... not much else.
We got off at Central Point around 11:50 and walked to a nearby Carl's Jr. On the way, a man asked us if we had a car and we laughed at him as we told him that no, in fact we did NOT have a car.
We sat in the restaurant and called Kendrick who said he would pick us up but it would be a while (like 2 am). Then we tried to call a taxi and no one that Steven called answered the phone.
By now it was midnight and we had to leave Carl's Jr. because they were closing. The unspoken plan was to go hang out at IHop.
We walked out the door 30 seconds behind another man that was in the restaurant.
As we turned to head down the sidewalk, he turned to us from his car and said, "Do you need a ride to 7800 south?" We were stunned and surprised and Steven said, "Um, yeah." The man then asked us if we wanted a ride and we said yes.
We got in the car with him and his wife and headed south. We learned that he was in the same predicament- he too got stuck without a ride because he didn't realize the Trax stopped so early- and he had called his wife to pick him up.
He overheard Steven talking to Kendrick in Carl's Jr. ("7800 south"- where our car was) and decided to offer us a ride.
What are the odds that some random guy in Salt Lake would be in the same predicament as us and that he lives in the same general area as us (his car was parked at another Trax Station on 7800) and that he would overhear the conversation and be willing to offer us a ride. MIRACLE, I tell you!
They drove us all the way back to our car (the wife said that it didn't make sense for us to walk from where her husband's car was- especially because she had seen my shoes...) and we got home safely.
I absolutely could not believe how it all worked out so smoothly. I lost my hair clip along the way, but I didn't get frost bite on my ill-prepared feet!
We thanked them profusely and paid them a little money.
We were so thankful and stunned to have gotten home safely and relatively quickly too. I said before we drove to Salt Lake that I wanted an adventure and boy, did I get one!
I am so so so thankful that there are good, kind people in the world and that Heavenly Father was looking out for us last night! Faith in humanity = RESTORED!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment