Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Perfect poached egg

Here is my tutorial on how to make the perfect poached egg. :D You can do it; tastiness will ensue!

*Important: This works better the more fresh the egg is, but it can work even with an older egg.

Step 1: Gather the materials. Once you get started, you have to babysit the egg and everything happens pretty fast- be prepared.

You need:
  • a small sauce pan (I use the smallest one I have) filled about 3/4 full with hot water from the tap (about 3 inches of water),
  • white vinegar,
  • a large spoon,
  • a bowl,
  • several paper towels folded in half together and placed in the bowl,
  • a slotted spoon,
  • a small bowl or ramekin,
  • and eggs!

Step 2: Use the large spoon to add about a tablespoon of white vinegar to the water. (Don't worry- it doesn't effect the taste, but it does help the egg set up. This is especially important if your egg is not very fresh.)

Step 3: Heat the water on a little over medium heat (like half way between medium-high and medium) until it is at a slow boil/simmer.
While you are waiting (it kinda takes a while), crack your first egg into the small bowl/ramekin.

 Here a video of about what the simmering should look like:

Here's where it gets exciting!

Step 4: Use the large spoon to create a whirlpool in the pan. Stir pretty fast and then gently drop the egg from the small bowl into the middle of the whirlpool.

It will look like it's not working- don't stress; be patient! You don't need to stir it or anything- just let it cook.

Here is a video of what it should look like (sorry it's blurry):

Step 5: Make sure you time the egg! I cook mine for about 3 minutes each which makes the the white all cooked and the yolk still runny.

Hint: When you can see that the white right next to the yolk isn't jiggly anymore, it's probably about done. (Don't lift it out of the water too much to check it though- that's why I like to time it!)

Hint: If the water starts boiling too much you can turn the heat down and/or move the pan halfway off the heat. You want to try and keep it at about a simmer the whole time.

Step 6: Use the slotted spoon to gently life the egg out of the water. Let it drain. Then gently put the egg on top of the folded paper towels inside the bowl.
(If needed to get water out of crevices, you can carefully roll it back and forth using the ends of the towel to move it.)

Step 7: Repeat! Let your water heat back up to a simmer if needed, crack the egg into the small bowl, make the whirlpool, gently drop the egg into the middle, maintain a simmer, let it cook for 3 minutes, drain in slotted spoon and on paper towel. (I make sure to only have 1 egg on the paper towel at a time- easier to control...)

(Hint: There will be foam/small egg pieces in the water. If it bothers you, you can get it out with the spoon and if not, don't worry about it. :))

My second egg:
 My third egg:


Step 8: Move your gorgeous poached eggs to a plate. I like to eat mine on top of buttered toast, but I'm sure they would taste great with lots of other things too (avocados, anyone?).

Step 9: Salt and pepper the eggs. Celebrate and eat the deliciousness you just made! Yay you!
 

(Step 10:) Don't get discouraged if it doesn't work the first time perfectly. Poached eggs are challenging! Just try again next time! You can do it! :D


P.S. This is kinda funny even though animal poaching is definitely not: http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/tzu/lowres/tzun766l.jpg

P.S.S. Here are some extra tips if you want, but all the tips I use, I included above. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/poached-egg-tips-recipe/index.html

1 comment:

  1. Watch out, I just might pin this tutorial! p.s. Every time I come to your blog I have to feed the fish...it's kind of an obsession :)

    ReplyDelete