Monday, November 21, 2011

cake pops

Wow... it's been two months since I posted. That's a long time! I can't believe it's gone so fast. Sorry Mom.

On Saturday, I was home by myself all day. I decided to make cake. I made a boxed yellow cake and put chocolate frosting on top. Then I was disappointed because it was super crumbly and not as moist as I had wanted it to be.
In frustration, I started mushing the cake on my plate with my fork and all of a sudden, I remembered CAKE POPS. I have been following this site (Bakerella) for a couple years and have made this before. I have also made cake balls at a church activity before, but I've never made cake pops.
Well, I decided that it was the perfect time to make them because I needed a distraction and my cake was crumbly.
So at about 8 pm I went to the store and bought candy melts, lollipop sticks, mini cupcake liners, sprinkles, styrofoam, and edible ink pens. I even had a coupon so I saved like 9 bucks! Pretty sweet!

I decided to make this decoration (simple smiley faces- this is also where you can find the basic directions if you want them) and then expanded it to include chicks and a couple of fish and whatever else we decided to make with the triangle sprinkles I bought.
I didn't start making them until pretty late which is why they aren't the most awesome (I didn't feel like spending a lot of time to make them perfect and the edible ink markers didn't work that well), but I still really like them.
Steven came home in the middle of my adventure; he opened the door, smiled and said, "Look what you made!" I love that he supports me and joins me when I do random, fun things and that he didn't just get upset about the money I spent on supplies. :D
Then he helped me finish, decorate, and wrap them.
It was really fun!!!

Then on Sunday, I gave most of them away (I think that the main point of making a treat like these anyway).
I gave some to Sarah's family after I helped them take family pictures and then we went and visited my family and let them demolish the rest. I think they enjoyed them. :D They are pretty tasty!
Now: PICTURES!!!
Smileys, nervous smiley, lovey-dovey alien, rooster, smooch!, more yellow chicks
Yellow chick, glasses, sprinkles for hair, rooster, tongue!, spiky hair, sad dude, and Friar Tuck
random faces with fun hair, sprinkles, smiley, fish, cake balls, rooster, fishy (front and back)
Yay for cake pops!!! :D

3 comments:

  1. Yeah!!! I can post a comment again here! Thanks Sara for everything....for the blog, for the *amazing cake pops* and being so sweet and coming to visit. We love you so much and those cake pops are/were amazing (I still have 2 left....Dad and I should eat them...but...they're so cute! I hate to eat them! :)
    Love ya....see ya Wednesday. I'm going to the temple tomorrow with Grandpa Rass.
    Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! So cute too, you should bring some my way :) Love your face

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those were yummy, I want more :)

    ReplyDelete