Sunday, March 28, 2010

random happenings

Some things that have happened recently (in no particular order):
  • I took the OPI and the Praxis tests. They were very stressful and I'm glad they are over. I hope I pass or else I can't be a teacher.
  • Steven gave me priesthood blessings before I took these tests. I'm so grateful to have him in my life and to be a member of the Church. I am grateful for the Priesthood.
  • There was some stress/craziness about getting my new driver's license... Well, of course, being me, I procrastinated a little. As of a couple weeks ago, I still didn't have my new driver's license. Well, the day before the $130 Praxis test, I got online to print out my ticket and was reading the stuff on it and realized that I needed to have a government issued photo id showing the name that I registered for the test with in order to get in. Stink! (I think my thought when I registered was, 'Well, for sure I will get my new license by then... I'm not that big of a procrastinator...' Wrong!) So, in a panic on a Friday afternoon, I called the Praxis people to explain the situation and see if my school id would work. The lady was very apologetic but said no. So I quickly found the number for the DMV and listened to a recording that said that they were only open Monday through Thursday... and my heart sank.... Then a glimmer of hope! Apparently, because of the new requirements for renewing licenses, they have two places open on Fridays. So after the recording, I talked to a lady who told me what documents I had to bring (old license, passport or birth certificate (thanks heavens because I don't know where my birth certificate is!), marriage license, social security card, and two pieces of mail with my name and current address! Man, that's a lot!). Then I called Steven home and we rushed down to South Valley DMV in Draper. I was stressed. Poor Steven, he did a good job of dealing with me. I expected a long line, but there wasn't one so that was nice. Everything went extremely smoothly (except my new license says N next to Donor and I thought I marked Y so I need to change that...) and I took the test and now I am finally done changing my name to my married name (I think...)! Phew!
  • When I was sitting for 30 minutes  in a building on Weber State campus waiting for everyone to show up so that we could start the Praxis test (which I was annoyed by because I was there on time!), I looked up and saw that the ceiling projector had a lock and chain on it. And when I say lock and chain, I'm talking the for-reals, welded link chains that are think and heavy and a for-reals, rather large padlock. It was so hilarious. A girl sitting next to me and I had a good laugh. I think I needed that; I was stressed out. I was one of 4 or 5 girls and the rest (8 or 9) were boys. I felt like I was the only non-returned missionary and probably the youngest too.
  • I found a leveled reader called "Diminusaurios." I love the title of this book (diminuto (minute/tiny) + dinosaurio (dinosaur) = really small dino)! No one else seems to be as excited as I am about this cute little book, including the students I was going to read it with... (There are supersaurios and diminusaurios and other sized saurios too. When the Ice Age comes, the big ones run away. But because the little ones are so little, they can't run fast enough so they eat the insides of walnuts and then curl up inside to stay safe and warm and sleep out the cold in the hard shell. If you are lucky enough you might find one still asleep inside its walnut shell. :D  (*Edit: Steven read this and was outraged that I said that no one was very excited about this book. He said that he was "stoked." :D Also, I suspect that Caitlin would also say that she likes it or at least that she likes that I like it... But other than that, I generally get blank looks or weird looks when I talk about how much I like this little book... :D)
  • I watched the new Alice in Wonderland movie with my family. I was apprehensive because it looked really weird, but I really enjoyed it. The story and effects were entirely believable.
  • I have been taking these involuntary-ish naps where I feel like I am unconscious for a few hours on Monday and Wednesday late mornings. Seriously, I am so tired lately and I can't help but fall asleep as I'm trying to read homework and it has been a miracle a couple of times that I woke up on time to get to my reading group at the middle school. I almost feel like I will probably be tired for the rest of forever....*sigh*
  • Two flowers grew outside our house (in the back of the house in the dirt underneath the windows)! We didn't even know there were flowers planted out there. They are bright yellow daffodils and they make me happy. I hope more will grow. I want to plant more.
  • Steven let me buy a box of Cheerios because there was a book it it. I was really excited. I was even more excited when I got it home and got it out of the box and found out that it is a bilingual (Spanish and English) book about a "zany zoo." It is pretty sweet! I really like childrens' books.
  • I saw Myriah at McDonald's on Thursday. It was really nice. I was having a stressful day and she gave me a big hug and gave me food for my growly tummy. 
  • I made and ate this awesome ice cream cone! You know you're jealous!
  • Steven and I went to the DI on Tuesday night to buy me some teacher shoes. We found three really good pairs for like 12 dollars and then we went to Walmart to buy some dress up socks to go with them. I was really nervous to go to my first day of practicum and finally getting some teacher shoes made me feel better. :D
  • I got my practicum/student teaching placement and have been to the high school 2 times (for over half the day each time). My mentors are really nice. I even taught a little on Friday (well, directed a speaking activity) and I did it all in Spanish which these kids are not used to. I think it went well. It could have gone a lot better, but it went well for a first (rather spontaneous) time and for them not being used to getting directions in Spanish. 
  • I watched Les Mis: the School Edition at Bonneville High School with my family. My cousin Deric was in it. I love spending time with them and these high schoolers did an absolutely outstanding job performing this play! Amazing sets, voices, everything! It was great! It was a little too loud for Eric (he kept saying that he was "confused all day because of that play" and was putting on his coat to leave when it was only intermission). LOL I love that kid!
    • Our cat murdered my poor fish, Ziggy! We came home today and Steven found the fish bowl shattered on the ground in our living room and the fish was dead and dried out. :( The cat pushed him off the top of our small entertainment center. I am sad that he died all tragic-like like that but it is okay. He was old (I got him in July 2008) and sad (lately, he has stayed down at the bottom of the bowl all the time) and now he is in fish heaven. Steven cleaned it up before I even saw it and he even buried Ziggy instead of flushing him (we had a discussion/argument once about how a fish ought to be buried...). I'm just glad that our stinker of a cat didn't eat him!
      For a Sunday thought, I really love this:
      We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things. (Article of Faith 13)

        2 comments:

        1. Poor Ziggy! I remember him :( We fish sat him over Christmas 08. I am glad your tests are done and your student teaching is going well!

          ReplyDelete
        2. You're so cute Sara! I didn't know that you had a blog! I know that you did so great on your tests. Don't be stressed. And I have to say that I am not very surprised about the whole ID situation... haha ;)

          ReplyDelete