Sunday, January 31, 2010

a few things from last week

---Steven made peach frozen yogurt in the ice cream maker we got for our wedding... soooo good!
---I got a new id card with my new last name on it. I was disappointed with the picture (the last one turned out so much better), but that's okay I guess.
---I almost got in a weird crash with a multi-colored, eternally-parked truck on the corner by our house because I kinda slid out of control going around the corner. The jeep stopped like 2 inches away from it. It made my heart race.
---I'm super glad I don't have a "look book." As far as I'm concerned, if anyone notices or cares what I wear everyday, that's their problem. :D
---I got a "premio professional" (and a chocolate truffle) in my Spanish class for sending my professor this video. (See explanation below-I don't know who wrote this; I received it in an email.) Vik Muniz's "Sugar Children" reminded me of this video. He makes these portraits with sugar on black paper. Also, watch this video about his art; it's pretty cool.

(Background knowledge/overview of the video so that it makes more sense: 
This  video shows the winner of "Ukraine’s Got Talent",  Kseniya Simonova,  24, drawing a series of pictures on an illuminated sand table showing how  ordinary people were affected by the German invasion during World  War II.
The images, projected onto a large screen, moved many in the  audience to tears and she won the top prize of about $130,000.00.
 

She begins by creating a scene showing a couple sitting holding  hands on a bench under a starry sky, but then warplanes appear and the happy scene is obliterated.
It is replaced by a woman’s face crying, but then a baby arrives and  the woman smiles again. Once again war throws the sand into chaos from which a young woman’s face appears.
She quickly becomes an old widow, her face wrinkled and sad, before  the image turns into a monument to an Unknown Soldier.
This outdoor scene becomes framed by a window as if the viewer is  looking out on the monument from within a house.
In the final scene, a mother and child appear inside and a man  standing outside, with his hands pressed against the glass,
saying goodbye.

The Great Patriotic War, as it is called in Ukraine, resulted in one  in four of the population being killed with eight to 11 million deaths out of a population of 42 million.
Kseniya Simonova says:  "I find it difficult enough to create art  using paper and pencils or paintbrushes, but using sand and fingers  is beyond me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment