Saturday, August 21, 2010

Quotes

I'm copying Sarah's recent post and putting my Facebook quotes here. Enjoy! :D
____________________________________________________________
No amount of time in front of the mirror will make you as attractive as having the Holy Ghost with you.  
Sheri L. Dew
-----
Only those who see the invisible can do the impossible.
Dr. B. Lown (There are also a couple of variations: Eastman and Gaines)
-----
Life is good, the Church is true, God is in charge!  
(As best as I can remember, this quote is from one of my former seminary teachers.)
-----
Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come smiling through; no matter how your heart is grieving , if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true. 

Cinderella
-----
Blessed are those that can GIVE without REMEMBERING and TAKE without FORGETTING.
Elizabeth Bibesco
-----
Wrinkles should merely indicate were smiles have been. :D
Mark Twain
-----
Counsel with the Lord in all thy doings, and he will direct thee for good; yea, when thou liest down at night lie down unto the Lord, that he may watch over you in your sleep; and when thou risest in the morning let thy heart be full of thanks unto God; and if ye do these things, ye shall be lifted up at the last day.
Alma 37:37
-----
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
2 Timothy 1:7
-----
Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
John 14:27
-----
Sometimes God calms the storm; sometimes He lets the storm rage and He calms His child. 

(This seems to be a very popular and plaque or wall-worthy religious saying (which is where I encountered it), but I couldn't find a source for who said it
However, I did find this scripture and this song.)
-----
That woman is a success:
Who loves life and lives it to the fullest;
Who has discovered and shared the
strengths and talents that are uniquely her own;
Who puts her best into each task and leaves each situation better than she found it;
Who seeks and finds that which is beautiful in all people- and all things;
Whose heart is full of love and warm with compassion;
Who has found joy in living and peace within herself.

Barbara J. Burrow

-----
To laugh often and love much; to win the respect of intelligent persons and the affection of children; to earn the approbation of honest citizens and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to give of one's self; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to have played and laughed with enthusiasm and sung with exultation; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived - this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
-----
Delight is inherent in each instant, if one can take that perspective and hold it, gently, to heart.
Reeve Lindbergh
-----
Love is cleanliness and progress and sacrifice and selflessness.
Spencer W. Kimball
-----
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle. 

(This was also hard to find a source for. I found places on the internet that attributed this quote- and variations- to all of these people (or maybe it's a compound of what two of them said): Plato, Charles Swindoll, Philo of Alexandria, James M. Barrie, Billie Holliday, T.H. Thompson, and John Watson...- the names in italics returned the most results on a Google search.)
I really like this variation: (which seems to be attributed to Charles Swindoll): "Be kinder than necessary, For everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle. Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly…….And the rest will fall into place.”I also found this quote used here, which made me smile.
-----
 
The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us. 
Ralph Waldo Emerson
I did find this variation from Elder Dallin H. Oaks: When we face seemingly insurmountable obstacles in the fulfillment of righteous responsibilities, we should remember that when we are involved in the work of the Lord, the obstacles before us are never as great as the power behind us. We should reach out and climb. Handholds will only be found by hands that are outstretched. Footholds are only for feet that are on the move.
-----
What soap is to the body, laughter is to the soul.
Yiddish proverb
-----
Find a guy who calls you beautiful instead of hot, who calls you back when you hang up on him, who will lie under the stars and listen to your heartbeat, or will stay awake just to watch you sleep... wait for the boy who kisses your forehead, who wants to show you off to the world when you are in sweats, who holds your hand in front of his friends, who thinks you're just as pretty without makeup on. One who is constantly reminding you of how much he cares and how lucky his is to have you.... The one who turns to his friends and says, 'that's her.'

(Again, I couldn't find a source for this quote. I think I found it originally somewhere on Facebook.)
-----
Refuse to let yesterday hold tomorrow captive.
Neal A. Maxwell
-----
Humility is not thinking less of yourself, but thinking of yourself less.

C.S. Lewis  
(There is also this variation: Humility does not mean thinking less of yourself than of other people, nor does it mean having a low opinion of your own gifts.  It means freedom from thinking about yourself at all. -William Temple)
I also found this and thought it was interesting.
-----
The way of happiness is following the way of the Lord.
Gordon B. Hinckley
-----

2 comments:

  1. Oh Sara, I like a lot of these. I wish I knew who said more of these!


    anyway, have a happy day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite one is the very first one. :)

    ReplyDelete