Thursday, September 9, 2010

my developing skills

The other day we had a RS activity.
We were learning how to make jam.
I had a feeling that I should go so I whisked Rachel and Camille away as soon as they got here.
The first part of the activity was interesting and the person teaching us demonstrated how she has learned to make yummy jams even though she doesn't consider herself a very good "homemaker".
A few minutes after that, the jam slurry had to boil for like 20 minutes and the other people in charge of the activity were trying to come up with a get-to-know-you activity or something to occupy the time.
Then they asked if anyone had any good ideas.

After a moment or two of hesitation, I said something like,
"I do actually; I have been in high school all week; we have done a lot of that, but we will need paper."
So they quickly acquired paper and pencils and I proceeded to lead an activity using "extended name cards."
It the middle of it, the person who was leading before I took over said something like, "Can I just say how awesome you are! Thank you for taking over and making this go so well!"
That made me smile.
So we proceeded with and finished the activity and it was nice. :D
Then we finished learning how to make jam.

Afterward, the bishop's wife approached me and said that she teaches French in high school and that she thought that was really cool because she has never done an activity like that with her classes. This started a conversation about classroom atmosphere. I proceeded to tell her about how important I think it is that teachers create a safe and open environment in the classroom because learning a language is tough and very scary and the students need to be able to take risks and feel comfortable with those around them.
Then she tucked her extended name tag into her purse as if to save it for later. :D

I felt really happy. It was very fulfilling to be able to extend what I have learned in school and the skills that I am developing for my chosen career into other forums and contexts besides the classroom. :D

On a similar note, these first two weeks of school I have had the opportunity to observe, learn names and personalities, lead warm-ups, and teach some material. I realized even more how much I need to work on my white board handwriting (college note-taking ruined my penmanship!). I had some successes and some not-so-successes. I learned that good instructions really are so important. I also learned that I have to find some way to engage the students and get their blood moving when it doesn't even look like they are blinking or breathing. I found myself laughing a lot and sharing stories and opinions and just generally enjoying myself. (I think I must have an interesting sense of humor because I think things are hysterical that others hardly even chuckle at. What is that about?!? Oh well. I have consciously decided that I'm not going to stop laughing.)
I also bought a for-reals water bottle. It is the stainless steel kind; it's blue and it has the world map on it. It's awesome: it's not plastic, it doesn't advertise for Powerade, and it keeps me hydrated! Yay!

A pretty picture I took!

No comments:

Post a Comment