Monday, September 6, 2010

Saturday

I was a little sick (and I was so determined not to get sick- darn all those students' germs) so I stayed in bed and read a lot of stuff in my Google reader that I have neglected (especially the teaching blogs). I really enjoyed that. I added to some of my older blog posts. I didn't do my homework or lesson planning, but I feel like I learned a lot anyway.
I took our Comcast equipment to the service center to cancel our subscription.
I dropped recycling off on campus (and fought the ridiculous BYU football traffic.)
I was going to go grocery shopping, but then realized that I forgot my list so Steven and I went later.
Also, the esc button on my computer broke. There is no escape. lol

and I posted this on Facebook:

"Educators would do well to learn about culture slowly with more questions and fewer stereotypes. Perhaps the ultimate model is to learn about all the layers of culture not as an outside observer but relationally in a way that allows the teacher to learn and embrace elements of a student's culture rather than the student blindly assimilating while the teacher offers support based upon half-baked stereotypes." Source

I think this applies to everyone, not just educators.
I think this applies to all students too, not just the more obviously culturally diverse ones. The truth is we all have individual and unique cultures and experiences. We are as different individually as we are similar across cultures.

The same blogger also said this:

"I could recognize that depth is dangerous and it's better to avoid the chasm of disagreement than build a bridge of understanding, but ultimately it's my need for deeper connections that lead me to conversations where I realize that suburbia is more profound than it first appears." Source

I have discovered that I really like reading things that make me think critically.

1 comment:

  1. I like these thoughts Sara! I think when I first began to learn a lot of these principles was when I met lots of different people in college, and especially living with you and the other roomies. Although all of us were young adults, attending school, LDS, etc, I encountered so many different personalities and ways of perceiving the world and living life. You couldn't describe any of us in a one sentence stereotype. Yet also I think what is important when navigating all these differences is to remember the ways we are all the same. We all are children of God, and we want to be loved and respected and be happy.

    ReplyDelete