Sunday, August 14, 2011

fun thing 2

From President Monson:

"My mother once said of me, “Tommy, I’m very proud of all that you’ve done. But I have one comment to make to you. You should have stayed with the piano.”
So I went to the piano and played a number for her: “Here we go, [here we go] to a birthday party.” Then I gave her a kiss on the forehead, and she embraced me."

This is amusing to me because that's one of the only 2 songs that I can play on the piano! (President Monson and I have something in common other than the obvious!)
(The other one is played using the same 3 keys in backwards order and it's about the Sandman.) 

I do wish that I had stayed with the piano a little longer, but there were forces working against me:
1) In my 8-10 (?) year old brain, I perceived my teacher as evil and mean. Seriously, she scolded me when I didn't practice! I was not enjoying myself;
2) I do believe that I am just not musically inclined; I have other natural talents. That doesn't mean that I couldn't have developed that talent, but it does mean that I find it very difficult to get my two hands to do different things at the same time on the keyboard. Not my forte.

Side note: I can play one song on the guitar! It's called "Jailbreak." (It's really just a joke because all you do is scratch the thickest string with your fingernail so it sounds like this. LOL)

1 comment:

  1. What a cute blog....I enjoyed reading this! To tell you the truth...I thought my piano teacher was wonderful and I also didn't practice! I sure wish I could play now for all the kids. Maybe someday I'll learn.
    I love you...
    Mom

    ReplyDelete