Well, I survived the interview. It was stressful, but I did it. Once I got in there and started talking, it wasn't actually that bad. :D
I had an ordeal though.
I thought I was super prepared. Steven and I bought résumé paper last night and I spent time working to perfect my advertisement of me. I had a plan for when to wake up, what to take with me, how to do my hair, what to wear, when to leave, how to get there, potential things to say, and potential questions to ask. We didn't go to bed too late and I got enough sleep.
Isn't there a saying about 'if it can go wrong, it will'? Okay, it wasn't that bad but...
I was an hour late to the interview for several reasons: in the morning the printer broke itself right in the middle of printing (and before I printed my résumé) so I spent way too long trying to fix that. I left Provo at 1:05 (the interview was in Sandy at 1:30). That was the first thing that went wrong; I almost couldn't believe it. It's kinda funny now, but it wasn't then.
So I sped on the freeway (I'm not even going to tell you what my top speed was, but it was way too fast :-/). I'm not proud of it, but I was making really good time. Then I got to my exit, but right before I got off I noticed that the exit sign said the exit number right before the one that I wanted so I quickly got back into the main lane. I knew right after I did it that the sign was wrong and that really was my exit. Right after that the traffic pretty much stopped moving. I called the office and told them that I was stuck in traffic and they said to just go ahead and come and there would probably be time for me at 2:30 (after the person who was supposed to be after my original interview). Then I cried inside and spent half an hour or more getting to the next exit because of an accident. :(... Then I missed the connection to reenter the freeway going back southbound so I had to go down the road and turn around. I finally made it to the right exit and only had to turn around 2 more times until I found the district offices. I also stopped at FedEx Office and had them print my résumé (which I ended up not even needing). *sigh*
Then I had an interview with two very nice ladies (who didn't even seem too upset that I was really late), the Elementary HR person and the Immersion district and state representative. I felt like it went pretty well, especially considering that it was my first real interview. It lasted a little over half an hour. I have a tendency to draw a blank when trying to answer questions under pressure, but that didn't really happen this time so that was really encouraging. They seemed impressed with some of my answers and with some of the things I tried during student teaching. I even answered a couple of questions in Spanish and even though I made mistakes, I actually had things to say and didn't hesitate too much. So all in all, it was a pretty good experience. We smiled a lot and I made them chuckle a few times and I answered all their questions. :D
So now I guess have to wait for the principal of the school to call me for another interview if she is thinking about hiring me. I would have to do more school to get an elementary license and get a higher score on the Spanish OPI, but I could do that while I'm teaching apparently. I do wish the teaching endorsements and requirements for this state were more clear. The good news is that I'm now in this district's "candidate pool" for elementary and secondary education. Now I have to request and receive letters of recommendation and follow up with them.
Also, FYI: I did my make-up and rocked my cute blue blouse and black slacks and I even curled my hair!!! I ended up wearing it in a curly ponytail with a clear headband and I felt pretty and confidant. I wore my real shoes too, but only when I had too (otherwise I wore my rainbow slippers).
After the interview, I drove back to Provo and only had to turn around once before I met up with Steven to see him for a second. Then I convinced Johnita to go to lunch with me and met her and Natalie at Zupas. I was really hungry because this 4 p.m. meal was the first thing I ate today (I have no desire to eat when there are butterflies in my tummy so I just don't). It was really tasty (California Turkey panini and Wisconsin Cauliflower soup).
Then I went to BuyLow to look for Mini Gummy Bears, with no luck. Then I went to Arby's to get a chocolate turnover- my newest addiction. :D Then I went to Macey's to deposit money and order checks. And.... I found Mini Gummy Bears. :D Then I finally got to come home and I typed this up for you to read. *phew* :D And then Johnita came over to visit for a while! :D
It's been a long day and you just read the play by play. *chuckle* I hope it wasn't too boring. Happy Friday and yay! for Sara doing difficult things!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)













I really like your play by play blogs, it makes me feel like I'm there with you *smile*
ReplyDelete