Sunday, February 27, 2011

poem for Sunday

I found this poem assignment in all my papers.
The top of the page says "Sort-of Chicago-like Poem."
I suspect that the meter, rhyme, and structure of the poem are not original (I think it was an assignment to write a poem in a certain style), but the words are mine.
I don't know whether I wrote this in High School or Junior High...
I have replicated my original spelling and punctuation. :)

My House
                                                        Character shaper for my family
                                                        Warm comforter for my soul
                                                        Needed place to belong (for everyone)
                                                        Lift up when I'm down
                                                        Warm, kind, inviting
                                                        A place just for ME!

The world cries "abandon, abandon" I shout, "no,
        I will not."
They scream "No children, be free instead" But my
        soul yearns for these things so I reply "no, I will not."
No matter what they say, I will not be deter[r]ed from
        my path, I am strong "No, I will not."
When the world says "individual" and my God says
        "families" who do I chose?
When the world says "it's okay" but my God says
        "Abstinence" who do I chose?
Who do I chose? My God of course, for the world and
        its fancies are the sand that goes in and out with
        the tide, but my God is the redwood tree that
        can not be moved.
You say "there are so many problems, just give up" I say
        "I know, Nevertheless, I will not."
...
We have to stay linked arm in arm, lifting and
        supporting, loving and cherishing or else.
        there is no hope.
"No, I will not"
        It is too vital "No, I will not."

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to find out about my sweet Sara on your blog. I love you....glad things are going well and you're so happy.
    This is an absolutely awesome poem! You always were (and are) soooooo clever!
    I love you...Love Mom

    ReplyDelete